Saturday, November 17, 2007

Well That Explains It!

I knew there had to be an explanation for the problems of my generation and I've finally found it! My mother let me watch Sesame Street and... gasp... The Electric Company! Although the truly diabolical nature of the latter hasn't been exposed yet, it was announced yesterday that the early episodes of Sesame Street are to be released on DVD... but here's the kicker... They're labeled with a warning "that they are intended for grown-ups and may not suit the needs of today's preschoolers."

"The vintage Sesame Street characters couldn't make it on T.V. today," Virginia Heffernan of the New York Times argues. "Just look at Oscar the Grouch, a fellow who lives in a garbage can, gets no help with his obvious emotional problems and shows no ambition to better his station in life."
I always liked Oscar the Grouch myself and I'm not a bum living in a sleezy alley. However, I guess I can blame my burgeoning waist line on Cookie Monster. Read more at NPR.com.

No comments: