Sunday, September 07, 2008

My Mother ... Excommunicated.

I jokingly told my mother she was going to be excommunicated if she didn't keep her politics to herself. Actually, I believe that only Catholics call it excommunication but the Church of Christ has their own version. My mother has always leaned a bit to the left in her politics and her frustration with her fellow worshipers doesn't surprise me.

She can't understand people who feel the only qualifications necessary for the presidency of the sole remaining super power is an abhorrence of abortion and an aversion to gay marriage. Damn the failing economy, lack of health care for poor Americans, and our addiction to Middle East oil.

November 4th is quickly approaching and I'm burnt out on politics already. The mean-spirited speeches and mud-slinging aren't new but they are tiresome. I'm not going Walden by any means but politics conflicts with my ideal quiet life of peaceful contemplation. If I didn't have to commute to one of the surrounding cities to make a living then I could be perfectly happy never leaving my home on the bank of the Elk River in rural southern Tennessee.

No comments: