Saturday, February 05, 2011

Long Lost Resume Nets Interview?

The wind was gusting at 25+ mph and the rain was coming down sideways when my cellphone rang the other day. It was a Redstone number so I assumed it was job related. It was... just not my job. On the other end was a gentleman wanting to discuss a job opportunity with me. At the moment, I was just trying to stay dry but I told him to email the details and I'll entertain his offer.

The responding email was a little light on details but the job was a dedicated support position on Redstone, similar to my current position, and I should meet them at a nearby coffee shop on my lunch break. Sure, why not? Who knows? Could be a great opportunity. I shot back an email asking how they had received my resume since I hadn't sent out any since November of 2009 when Knology took over the reins at PCL and I didn't remember sending anything to this company at all but received no reply.

Angel's Coffee Shop is your typical coffee shop. It's located on S. Parkway near Martin Rd., only about five minutes from my current office. I arrived about fifteen minutes early and took a seat in the corner where I could observe four men that I suspected of being with the company in question conducting an apparent interview. A few moments later, another man came in, ordered a coffee, and asked if I was Michael Ray. That's an affirmative and our conversation began and he was soon joined by the senior manager at the other table.

The resume that was produced was older than I imagined! After I graduated in December 2008, I sent out a few resumes and I believe I know the path this one followed. My father-in-law worked for a contractor that provided support on the test ranges and I did talk to a contact there but nothing was available in my field. Three years later, I get a call! Wow. Unfortunately, I'm a bit over qualified for the advertised position. My resume was a bit "dumbed down" and they weren't sure that they could authorize a paycheck in my range but they were interested so we're talking. Interesting, huh?

No comments: