Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Annual Jack O' Lantern Contest

Most families have some sort of holiday tradition. Of course, some are more "normal" than others. Most families simply get together for dinner on Thanksgiving or Christmas but, no, that's too non-competitive for the Ray household. We hold the annual Jack O' Lantern carving contest to crown the Pumpkin King or Queen (Goddess according to my wife)!

Unfortunately for me, it's usual the latter. According to my better half, my attempt at a cannibalistic Jack O' Lantern this year looked more maternal than lethal. I should have given him some teeth. Oh well. I tried. She had a rougher time than usual choosing a different variety of pumpkin with a really tough exterior and very strange looking contents. With the stem portion actually being used as the "nose", the resulting carving looks almost feral. Personally, I would have still given her the win but I was awarded the championship by her co-workers so I'll proudly wear my crown until next October.

Now, I've got to get down to the pumpkin patch to wait for the Great Pumpkin!

No comments: