Sunday, October 28, 2007

Get the Cake Fool!

My wife is a huge fan of classic movies so I've never seen so much B&W television since I was a kid watching 13 inches of CRT while still living with my parents. Of course, I had no idea that Star Trek was even filmed in color until much later but that's a different story. With my wife's affinity for fine films, AMC and TCM are two of her favorite channels.

She absolutely loves Alfred Hitchcock and wouldn’t miss Vertigo, Rebecca, or Rear Window but has no love whatsoever for The Birds, the movie of choice on the week leading up to All Hallows Eve. Horror films just aren’t her bag and even Hitchcock’s revolutionary idea of a horror movie with no real ending, weird electronic bird noise soundtrack, and interesting use of imagery won’t cut it.

Watching The Birds with her was like an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. The best comment of the evening came early in the movie when the kids birthday party is attacked by gulls to which my wife responded loudly, “Go get the cake fool! That looks like some good cake!”

Only my wife…

No comments: