Monday, June 16, 2008

Crunching the Numbers

The first week of the great experiment is over and I'm quite pleased with the results. With ~ 145K on the odometer, my V6 equipped 2000 Camaro ran 381.6 miles on 12.543 gallons of regular unleaded for an average mileage of 30.42! For a car rated at 19/29 under less than realistic conditions according to the latest literature, I'm suitably impressed. I've seen 30 mpg before in this car but it was all interstate driving. So how did I pull it off? Mostly, I was just careful with the right foot. I slowed down to 50-55 mph on the two lane roads which comprise 2/3's of my commute and 65 mph on the interstate. No jack rabbit starts and no sudden stops. Just cruising and relaxing.


I took a few cues from the Hypermilers over at http://www.cleanmpg.com but I chickened out on inflating the GoodYears up to 40 psi and settled for 35 instead. I really couldn't tell any difference in the ride quality and F-Bodies typically don't ride like Cadillacs. I did put the car in neutral and coasted down the few hills on my trip each day but I never shut the engine off. It's not exactly easy to drive a car with power steering and brakes without the engine running. I had the window(s) down most of the time eschewing the A/C unless I was on the cell. I did shut off the engine a few times while waiting in traffic. Overall, it really didn't take much to get the fuel mileage up 4 mpg.

No comments: