Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Recycling

The United States is the richest country in the world and also the most wasteful. Recycling, among other things (renewable energy, greater fuel efficiency, etc), should become a national priority. When I was wandering though the valley of unemployment in 2006, I took up the recycling cause at my home. I'm concerned about the planet but it was just never convenient until I had plenty of spare time. Garbage service in this part of the county has only been a reality in the last five years so curbside recycling is completely out of the question at my rural Tennessee home. In fact, there's no curb since I live on a gravel road!

So it requires a little more work under these conditions but it's a worthwhile endeavor that everyone needs to strongly consider. Recycling programs in other parts of the world are amazing, especially in Japan where the hallway in their smaller homes is often filled with different containers to generate a 95% recycling rate. Since my wife moved to Florida to work, I recycle almost all paper, cardboard, and plastic and have began doing the same at my place of business. I've cut my garbage production down to one bag per week and told the contractor that was charging me $12/month that I don't require his services anymore. I'm still paying the utility company $6/month for absolutely nothing but that's a story for another day.


I've been hauling everything up to Fayetteville, TN for disposal but that's the opposite direction of my usual travel so I've found an alternative in Athens, AL where I work. If I shop and recycle in Athens or Taft then I'll save a few more bucks on gas and reduce my carbon footprint just a little bit more... Every little bit counts.

No comments: