Tuesday, October 06, 2009

It's Just a Ride

I'm sitting here listening to Jem's "It's Just a Ride" after catching up with the morning paperwork shuffle but I'm positive that the lull will be short lived. Multitasking is the name of the game when you have work orders being shoved at you from three different directions while attempting to provision accounts and listening to some distraught elderly lady complain because her closest fifty friends didn't receive the junk mail she sent. You know... that same email that has been forwarded around the net for at least the last decade.

I've talked to more old work colleagues in the last few days than in the last three years. My former employer, Telos/TFE/Diebold-ISS, laid off half the staff again which puts the head count over there at less than ten by my estimation. It's really a shame. That was once a very lucrative contract and a great place to work for the most part. One poor fellow not only lost his job but also his wife in the same month. I already suspected the worst a few weeks ago when his wife ordered cable, phone, and internet at another address. I hear all of the local gossip made possible by employment with a small local cable company in a small town. You can easily get your fill hanging around the CSR's who know everyone in the town and all the latest news. The Sys Admin and myself are happy that we're not indigenous to this particular area otherwise we may be told something that we don't even know about ourselves... yet.

Although it's not common knowledge, the company that I work for is being sold. It's no secret since I've heard it around town and even from the friend getting divorced but no one is talking about it. Like I mentioned before, it's a small town. Unfortunately, I'm also looking at the ranks of the unemployed since I can't envision anything but an equipment room in the future for this locale. The interested party's largest market is in Huntsville but they really don't have any technical people there, just installers. Their technical department is based in Georgia and I'm just not interested in moving to Georgia even if an offer is extended. Such is life. So the job hunt is on!

I spent last Saturday working on my resume. Oddly enough, I've never really had a resume. I've pretty much stumbled into every job that I've had by networking. My networking (ironic) instructor from ASU referred me to this job. I brought a resume to my interview but it wasn't much. I've really only held three jobs in the 22 years since I left the farm. I hope that my new resume manages to impress someone in HR somewhere. We'll see.

Ah. The Beatles "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" is next on the play list. I'm hoping that "With a Little Help from My Friends" becomes appropriate soon!

No comments: