Thursday, October 08, 2009

United Outlaw Who?


The United Outlaw Racing Series made what I believe was the association's first appearance at Huntsville Dragway a few weeks ago. I didn't hear about it until the day before while needlessly torturing myself visiting the Yellow Bullet bulletin board. Why do I visit said forum if it's torture? More on that later. I had a sudden urge to go to this race but it quickly passed. Probably at Top Fuel speed but at least Pro Stock. I haven't actually been to an event at Huntsville Dragway since 2006 when I saw the ADRL, pre-packed stands, free ticket madness. It was well over 95 degrees that July day and I was soaking wet with sweat almost instantly. Sweat and alcohol doesn't mix very well in the eyes. That's alcohol from blown Pro Mods if you're confused, not Jack Daniels, but that probably wouldn't mix well in the eyes either. I had written the ADRL and procurred press credentials but only shot the action for about an hour and headed home. That was probably the beginning of the end... again.

I just can't seem to get excited about drag racing anymore even though it was such a large part of my life for a long time. Pro Mod was becoming a tour de force when I became enthralled with straight line acceleration and I migrated towards fastest street car action when the Outlaw Pro Mod circuit basically imploded over the blower versus nitrous controversy. The same happened locally in Outlaw 10.5 action but the racing went national and grew for many years. Unfortunately, everyone jumped into the arena and the market became ridiculously oversaturated with every track starting its own program and more and more sanctioning bodies clawing for a piece of the action. Too few cars, way too many options, and far too many conflicting rules started the decline and the sinking economy dug the grave for a lot of competitors and racing programs. Few spectators, less cars, and a lack of sponsors does not a successful racing series make.

I still love to hear people tell me how my site HeadsUpReview was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I do still have somewhat of an ego and I'm really astounded when someone tells me that it was my photography that inspired them to pick up a camera and aim it at a quickly accelerating vehicle headed straight for them. It's a strange feeling. I do miss being known by the staff at every track within 200 miles and given carte blanche access to the facility. I could and probably should write a book (at least an article) about why I think the NSCA didn't make it. I was villianized greatly during that era and I'll even take credit for some of the more outrageous conspiracies just to keep my infamous status. When I shuttered HeadsUpReview, I suffered greatly from email withdrawl. After receiving 300+ messages per day, it was a little disheartening to only find a few in the inbox. Do I miss it? Not much these days. I enjoyed the racing, the technology, and (for the most part) the people. I made some great friends, ones that I'll have for the rest of my life. Those people I miss greatly. 

So why is Yellow Bullet so torturous? I can still appreciate the technology and the more visceral aspects of the sport but I fell out of touch years ago with the direction of the sport and the new players. I visit for that very small dose of drag racing that I crave but just can't obtain without an overwhelming dose of ignorance and venom that I would just rather avoid. My life is different now. I avoid stress and can't bring myself to rant editorially about something so meaningless in the greater scheme of life as drag racing like I once did. Although my life is still in utter chaos for various reasons, I have positioned myself in the eye of the storm. The breeze is soft and it's quiet. I prefer it this way.

No comments: