Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ten Greatest Movies of All Time


I think I've been working on this post for three years now and just can't make up my mind on the proper order and I just couldn't cut it down to ten movies either so we'll just dispense with those requirements and present twenty of my favorite movies in chronological order. I think anyone viewing this list will can guess my age and apparently 1994 and 1999 were particularly good years. Please leave comments! I would be very interested to hear your opinion.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Star Wars (1977)
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Legends of the Fall (1994)
Forrest Gump (1994)
Independence Day (1996)
Good Will Hunting (1997)
American History X (1998)
The Green Mile (1999)
The Sixth Sense (1999)
The Matrix (1999)
High Fidelity (2000)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
The Incredibles (2004)
The Prestige (2006)
No Country For Old Men (2007)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a guy's list. Do you ever watch any old movies besides "It's a Wonderful Life?" LOL.

I've seen about half of those. Khan was definitely the best Star Trek. I try to work Kirk's, "KHAN!" into everyday conversations regularly. Yep, I'm a nerd like that.

I'd probably keep Wonderful Life, Gump, & maybe Legends. Haven't seen most of those 90's-2000 movies.

My list would contain mostly B&Ws, classics, or old movies & couldn't be narrowed to 10 or 20. In no specific order:

Casablanca
Gone with the Wind
African Queen
Meet Me in St. Louis
The Philadelphia Story
An Affair to Remember
On Golden Pond
The Wizard of Oz
Singin' in the Rain
North by Northwest
Rear Window
My Fair Lady
The Apartment
Bringing Up Baby
My Favorite Wife
Move Over Darling
Father Goose
That Touch of Mink
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Pillow Talk
Please Don't Eat the Daisies
Lover Come Back
Send me No Flowers
Pulp Fiction
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Quiet Man
Gunga Din
Sergeants 3
The Sons of Katie Elder
7 Brides for 7 Brothers
12 Angry Men
Any Thin Man movie
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou
Rain Man
Fantasia

I even included some "guy" movies!

I'm a big fan of the icons: Cary Grant (!), Katherine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, Dean Martin, Doris Day, Rock Hudson, Henry Fonda, Humphrey Bogart, Judy Garland, Audrey Hepburn, Brian Keith, Gene Kelly, William Powell, and Myrna Loy. Of course also Hitchcock & Vincent Price too.

-Bri

Michael Ray said...

Well, I am a guy! No, I'm not really a fan of classic Hollywood stuff. You would need to talk to Sandi. I see several of her favs on your list.