Friday, September 11, 2009

Internet Vacation

We took an internet vacation over the Labor Day weekend. No, it wasn't intentional but while I was out mowing the yard, our connection to the net evaporated into so many lost electrons. A quick check of the router revealed the missing comforting glow of the NT1 LED and a check of AT&T's box outside showed no lights there either.

A call to AT&T was about worthless. They supposedly tested the line and reported  it functioning all the way to their device at the demarc. I retorted that there were no LED's visible on the device and was rebuked. OK then. Send out the tech. Charge me if its on my side. The tech finally showed up Tuesday and spent about five hours finding where some overzealous hunter had shot the copper somewhere along the approximately 22,000 feet of cable heading back to the SLIC which I can only assume is where their actual testing capabilities come to a halt. Of course, I wasn't a priority on a holiday weekend since the problem supposedly wasn't theirs anyhow.

I called them back to argue that point after the tech left. Speaking with a few people higher up the totem pole about their obvious lack of troubleshooting abilities from the CO was a further waste of my time. I will give the field tech credit though. He was professional, very helpful with answering my questions, and quite competent. None of which I can report about the supposed techs that I talked to on the phone. End AT&T rant.

The whole affair was an epiphany for me. We don't watch television but the laptop has taken it's position in our home. Mindlessly surfing the internet is no more productive. Perhaps more educational if you're not playing video games but no more productive. I actually got alot done around the house so one of my goals is to leave the laptop in the bag a lot more often, perhaps setting aside a specific time to answer email and check on the finances and sticking to it. I'm gonna give it a whirl!

No comments: