Saturday, September 19, 2009

Why I'm Quitting Facebook

No, I'm not actually quitting Facebook. I just joined the incredibly popular site around a month ago but I read this very entertaining article on Newsweek and just had to pass it along. For nearly the first five years of the site's existence and however long MySpace has been around as well, I've managed to totally avoid the whole online networking phenomenon. I could never find any redeeming features in MySpace at all so that was scratched off early. Nothing but kids (designing some of the worst looking sites that I've seen) hanging out over there and even some of the racers that I know... very embarrassing.

Rod Short turned me onto the whole Facebook idea and since Rod dug it then perhaps I would too. Rod seems to have entered a place in his life where he's very appreciative of the little things and I'm right on the border of that country myself. It's amazing how many old friends that I've found. Some that I've really missed for the last twenty years and others, like the author pointed out, that I can't even remember. Some I do remember but didn't hardly speak to me in high school so I'm not sure why they would want to "friend" me now. Some of these names look familiar but I'm drawing a total blank on some of the faces. Of course, they may be thinking the same looking at my own time abused visage.

Recently, I asked my friend Shannon about one of my friend requests and he remembered them, told me they hung out with so and so. I remember the so and so's name but again drew a blank on a face stating that I was going to have to find an annual and reacquaint myself with my own high school class. I suggested that maybe your memory does go first. He countered that our hair went first and perhaps there was a correlation? I may do some research in that area. Anyhow, read the article at http://www.newsweek.com/id/183180/page/1 .

No comments: