Monday, August 11, 2008

Bob Paris

I recently rediscovered the website of author and former Mr. Universe, Bob Paris. Paris sprang onto the bodybuilding scene in the early 80's making his way onto the Olympia stage by the age of 23. He sculpted a physique of classic proportions, emphasizing balance over mass. Unfortunately, but not totally unexpectedly, his bodybuilding career pretty much came to a halt when he revealed his homosexuality in Iron Man magazine in 1989.

Never the stereotypical bodybuilder, Paris became an inspirational speaker and an author. His personal memoir "Gorilla Suit" detailed his experiences in the sport and his fitness books focus not only on the mechanics of exercise but also the mental and self esteem aspects. Many have been inspired by his speeches given at colleges and corporations around the world. Of course, he's also been the subject of famous photographers including Robert Mapplethorpe and graced the stage as an actor as well.

Perhaps more inspirational is the balance that he's found in his life now. Fitness, spirituality, and the environment are his main concerns these days. His views struck a chord with me. Published in 2001, his latest fitness book "Prime" was written with the 40+ man in mind. I'm now awaiting my copy from Amazon. No more excuses. Time to get back in shape.

(Photo by Per Bernal)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael Ray, thanks for your article on Bob Paris, whose book I've read a couple of years ago. I've been working out and reading books on weight lifting and fitness for almost 30 years. I found Mr. Paris's book Prime very innovative and knowledgable, with unique routines, stretches, diets and isometrics which I've applied to my own workouts. Is there a way to email Mr. Paris and tell him how much I appreciate his book. I've found no web sites of his to do this as yet. I don't want to pester him, or get an autograph, just want to tell him how much I enjoyed his book and how helpful it was (is) to me! Thanks, Nair
my email is: nairvetti@yahoo.com