Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hypermiling Once Again

I knew that the EPA has revised it's methods for calculating fuel mileage for new models but didn't realize that they took the time to revise the old ones. Apparently, they downgraded my 2000 Camaro to 17 and 26 which is 2 and 3 mpg lower than was originally displayed on the window sticker. That's very interesting considering that I've never gotten less than 24 mpg in either 4th Gen V6 Camaro that I've owned.

I'm still pulling down 29 mpg without a problem using some techniques now popularly referred to as Hypermiling. Nothing extreme. Tires inflated to 35 psi, no drafting and very little coasting in neutral. There's just not very many opportunities for it on my commute. Just taking it easy on the go pedal has made the greatest change. I've had to make concessions to 90+ degree temps this summer. In the southeast, A/C is a necessity unless you just enjoy sweating. I actually prefer the windows down but when the air coming in feels like an oven, I'm turning the A/C on. I have avoided the max setting so that the compressor does cycle.

Keeping it below 65 on the interstate and below 2000 rpm period has made these numbers easy. Cooler weather, rolled up windows, and no A/C earlier in the experiment produced 30-31 mpg so I'm hoping to see those numbers return when the temp starts dropping this fall. Oh, and this baby runs on regular unleaded. Can't beat that.

No comments: