Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Formulating the Plan

In the past, I logged every rep and every calorie that crossed my lips in the pursuit of my idea of physical perfection. Years of clean eating, weight lifting, and running had produced decent results. Nothing resembling Bob Paris, but an athletic physique. I could move some decent weight and run 3-4 miles easily enough.

I was just never happy with the results. I never took many photos because I always thought that improvements were only a few more months away. It just never happened. If I was attempting to bulk then I never got large enough. If I was leaning out then I never kept enough mass. Whether by genetic mishap or just incorrect technique (diet or exercise), I never achieved the physique that I thought I was capable of.

Like most men, my ego drove my time in the gym which led to shoulder injuries which led to a bout of physical therapy and the promise of future surgery if I didn't change my ways. Being laid off from my government contractor job of fifteen years put an end to my regular workouts. That was over two years ago. Stress from my new job and the pursuit of my degree combined with poor eating and a generally sedentary lifestyle have added about 25 lbs of adipose tissue to my physique and my blood pressure has crept up into the pre-hypertension area. Not good for a man with the big four O less than a year away.

So where do I go from here? Like Bob Paris, I'm not looking to put on a lot of mass now. I'm looking for balance in all aspects of my life. My physical goals include greater flexibility, sufficient lean muscle mass, and improved aerobic conditioning. So what's the plan? Considering that I have no money in the budget for a gym, a body weight program is in order. Probably not a bad idea for a while until I achieve some level of conditioning once again. More tomorrow.

No comments: